- see
Download the VroomVroomVroom app and access the best car hire deals wherever you are. App Store Google Store
Need help with your car rental? Phone: 0808-164-1480
Need help with your car rental?
Phone: 0808-164-1480

Important Information to Know Before Booking a Campervan in the UK

Before booking a campervan in the UK guide banner

A campervan is a great way to travel around the UK. With many holiday parks located across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, this is undoubtedly an easy way to travel. Before you make your booking, there is some important information you should be familiar with. VroomVroomVroom has put together some information to help guide you through the booking process.

What licence will I need to hire a campervan in the UK?

Generally, those with a standard UK driving licence or a licence from the EU, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States are permitted to drive a campervan in the UK. If you are planning on driving a vehicle that is larger than 3.5 tonnes, you may need a category C1 licence.

Those with a driving licence that is not printed in English may be able to hire a campervan in the UK if they also present an International Driving Permit along with their licence. The rules and regulations may vary based on which supplier and which location you are hiring the campervan from.

Read more about driving a campervan with a standard licence.

What sort of campervan should I hire?

The type of campervan you should hire in the UK depends on a number of factors. Vehicles sizes are measured by the number of adults they can sleep.

  • How many people are travelling? For larger groups, you may need a motorhome which can sleep up to six adults.
  • Do you need extra storage space? Some vehicles may have kitchen and bathroom facilities but may have limited storage space. If you are travelling with a lot of luggage, you may need to consider a larger vehicle.
  • Where will you be travelling? If you are planning to travel in cities or on smaller, country roads, a smaller vehicle may be easier to drive and park.

Read more about the types of campervans available in the UK.

What options do I have to reduce my financial liability?

When you hire a campervan in the UK, an excess amount will apply. This is the amount you could be charged for any damage that is caused to the vehicle while it is in your possession. To protect yourself from paying any large damage fees, you have a couple of options.

You can choose to purchase coverage directly from the supplier. They generally offer different levels of coverage, and certain exclusions may apply to basic coverage packages. Alternatively, you can purchase insurance from a third party. This is often reimbursement insurance, meaning you will still pay damage charges to the campervan rental company and then seek reimbursement afterwards.

Read more about insurance and protection packages.