- see
Download the VroomVroomVroom app and access the best car hire deals wherever you are. App Store Google Store
Need help with your car rental? Phone: 0808-164-1480
Need help with your car rental?
Phone: 0808-164-1480

What Sort of Licence Will I Need to Hire a Campervan in the UK?

Campervan driver's licence in the UK guide banner

If you're planning to hire a campervan, you will need a valid driving licence. All UK, EU, American, Canadian, New Zealand and Australian driving licences are generally accepted. If your licence is not printed in English, you may also need to present an International Driving Permit along with your licence. In some cases, paper licences are still valid, however, some locations may require you to present your photo licence.

UK licence holders

If you passed your UK driving test before 1997, generally you are permitted to drive motorhomes up to 7.5 tonnes. If you passed your test after that date, and wish to drive a vehicle larger than 3.5 tonnes, you may need to take an additional test.

Motorhomes larger than 3.5 tonnes

Campervans are generally smaller than 3.5 tonnes, meaning renters are able to drive them with a standard UK licence. If you are hiring a motorhome that is between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you will need a category C1 licence. The mass of the vehicle is calculated based on its weight plus the maximum load it can hold. If the vehicle is larger than 7.5 tonnes, drivers will need a Category C licence.

Other licence requirements

Licence and identification requirements may be different based on which supplier and location you are hiring from. Feel free to contact us for more information about the documents that you will require for your specific rental.

  • Some suppliers may wish to check information about your driving licence that is stored on the DVLA website. You may need to present a copy of your National Insurance Number, as well as provide your postcode.
  • You may be required to declare if you have any recent endorsements on your licence.
  • Drivers in Northern Ireland may need to present both their photo card and paper driving licence.

Read more about booking a campervan in the UK.