Can I Use My Debit Card To Pay My Rental Car?
Yes, if you are travelling to United Kingdom and want to use your debit card to pay for your hire car, some rental car suppliers will accept debit cards. However, be sure to check with your car rental company if your debit card is accepted or not before you show up at the rental desk.
Which car hire companies accept debit cards?
Few rental car companies in the UK such as Alamo, Budget, Europcar, Enterprise, and Sixt allow customers to book a car using only a debit card. However, please note that each supplier has different criteria. See the information below.
- Visa Debit cards including Visa Electron cards, and Mastercard debit cards are accepted when you hire a car with Budget.
- Please note that with Europcar, it may take up to 10 working days for the deposit monies to be available in your debit card account depending on your bank or card provider. A cheque refund will be provided within 8 working days.
- Premium and 4x4s cannot be rented using a debit card with Alamo.
- When you rent with Alamo, all renters with a UK home address paying on a debit card will need to pass an Online Address Check as verification of residence at their given address. Any customer failing the check will not be allowed to rent.
- All major debit cards (excluding Prepaid, Solo, Visa Electron, Diners Club and all unembossed maestro/debit/creditcards) are accepted with Enterprise. In addition, customers who are renting with a debit card can no longer rent a premium or 4x4 vehicle.
- American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Diners Club, JCB and Discover are the only debit cards that are accepted with Sixt. Note that they do not accept Maestro, V-Pay, pre-paid debit cards or Visa Electron cards.
For other payment methods, click here.
Debit Card DepositsKeep in mind that the deposit amount is immediately debited from the cardholder's bank account and is held by your rental car provider until the Rental Agreement is terminated and all rental charges are cleared. Unless you settle all rental charges on return of the vehicle, you authorise the supplier to allocate the monies held on deposit against such rental charges.