What is the best type of vehicle to hire in the United Kingdom?
The best type of car to hire in the United Kingdom ultimately depends on where you are planning to travel, and your ability as a driver. If you are planning on spending most of your time driving in the city, you may prefer a smaller vehicle. Note that even smaller cities such as Brighton and Cambridge can have smaller streets. If you are travelling from overseas, the roads may be smaller than what you are used to, and more difficult to navigate.
While smaller vehicles tend to be more popular in urban areas in the UK, you have plenty of choice when it comes to car types. Manuals are more common than automatic vehicles, but you are able to hire either one. Here are some of the options you can choose from:
- Mini: Fiat 500, Chevy Spark, Hyundai i10, Citroen Nemo or similar.
- Economy: Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, Audi A1 or similar.
- Compact: VW Golf, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Peugeot 3018 or similar.
- Standard: VW Passat, Vauxhall Insignia, Skoda Octavia or similar.
- Intermediate: Nissan X Trail, Mercedes B 180, Renault Kadjar or similar.
- Luxury: Mercedes E class, BMW 4 series, Land Rover Discovery Sport or similar.
- Full Size: VW Sharan, Nissan Pathfinder, Ford Galaxy or similar.
- Premium: BMW 3 Series
- Luxury: Mercedes E Class, BMW 6 Series
Find out more important things to know before hiring a car.