All You Need To Know About Paperless Driving Licences in the UK
Are you planning to hire a car for the coming summer holidays? Sometimes presenting a photocard licence or pre-1998 paper licence may not be enough to book a hire car. Some car hire companies want to check a renter's penalty points and ask for a code so they can check the licence online or for a printout of the licence details. However, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) abolished the paper counterpart of the UK plastic photocard licences two years ago and this contained information such as penalty points. Thus, the only way they can view the up-to-date driving licence information is through the View Driving Licence service.
Useful information when hiring a vehicle
The DVLA has already implemented the paperless driving licenses so here are some of the things that you need to know for a hassle-free holiday:
- Make sure to fill up this form at least a day before you pick up your car rental to get a special code which you will give to the car rental company when you arrive at their counter.
- Each code is valid for 21 days from the date you obtained it and can only be used once to protect your privacy. You can have up to 15 active check codes at any given time.
- If there is an error in getting a code online then call DVLA at 0300 083 0013. Make sure you are prepared to answer some security questions to validate your identity.
- To avoid paying roaming charges and going to the internet café, it is advisable to present all the information to the car rental company right away.
- Since not all car hire companies are aware of the paperless driving licenses, it is important to get in touch with the agency before booking a car hire so you won't have any problems when you arrive.
To help you understand better, check out this step-by-step guide on how to hire a car using a paperless driving licence shared by GOV.UK.
If you need help in contacting the car hire company to find out if they require a code, feel free to contact us so we can get in touch with them for you.