Fast and Easy way to Compare,
Book and Save on your Car Hire.
  • Great Rates
  • Wide Selection of Cars
  • Trusted Since 2001
Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App App StoreGoogle Store

Car Hire Montlucon

Montlucon is a commune in central France on the Cher River. Montlucon is the alrgest commune in the Allier department, although the department's prefecture is located in the smaller town of Moulins. Montlucon was built in the Middle Ages and the first mention of a place called Monte Lucii dates from the eleventh century. The town of Montlucon was part of the duchy of Bourbon. In the 14th century, Louis II de Bourbon rebuilt the castle and walls. Since 1945, Montlucon traditional industry of blast furnaces and glassware has declined. Today, Montlucon has chemical industries, tire manufacture and high tech companies. Montlucon is a wonderful holiday destination, since tourists can enjoy French history, culture and civilisation.

Top Attractions Within Montlucon

Castle La Louviere Montlucon is set amid landscaped grounds covering some twenty hectares. The castle is an amalgam of styles, because non of the four walls is the same. Only the use of brick and bluestone stringcourse ensure a homogeneous style. A stone staircase with three arms provides access to the central bay surmounted by a steep roof.

Le Ch√Ęteau des Ducs de Bourbon is a wonderful castle in Montlucon built by the Bourbons in 1250. The castle is an imposing and impressing building, on two floors, flanked by a rectangular tower, a turret, and a Clock tower. The main style of architecture resembles 15th century Italian Renaissance. The Montlucon castle has also got a museum that houses folk instruments and audio fragments of music. With more than 800 exhibits, the museum has lutes, bagpipes and brass bagpipes.

Le Chateau de Bien Assis is a feudal castle located in Montlucon, which has been built in the 15th century. The castle is built in the style of Renaissance architecture, with fireplaces, panelled doors and wooden fittings. The roof, the main rooms and the exterior walls were rebuilt. On the first floor, there is a constant exhibition of artefacts that date back to prehistory, as well as books from the 17th and 18th century.