Booking a Reliable Car Hire in Heathrow Airport is Now Easy
London Heathrow Airport is one of VroomVroomVroom's most popular locations for hire cars in the United Kingdom; and the fact that we can offer such great rates to our customers simply adds to the top car rental experience.
Why hire a car in Heathrow Airport at VroomVroomVroom
- Save time: Deciding to hire a car from an airport location can be quite a task. Booking through us takes away that stress of trolling through discount car rental rates and availability as we do the searching for you. Simply enter your search criteria into our form to the top left, including dates and times, and press 'search.'
- Easy to use: We'll take a few seconds to gather all the information you need to make an informed decision about which car hire you want. What could be easier? And to top it all off, when you have chosen your car hire in London Heathrow Airport or in any depots within London, you can book it directly from our car rental results page.
- Cheapest price: By booking a car hire through VroomVroomVroom, you are also assured of getting the lowest rates offered by our partners. Check out our Price Promise to understand more what we are talking about. We also don't charge any booking fee!
- Excellent service: If you need assistance in finding or booking a cheap car hire, feel free to contact us via phone, email, or live chat. Our customer care experts are ready to help you!
Things to consider when hiring a car at the airport
- Always include your flight number when you reserve your car hire in Heathrow Airport, this will allow your chosen supplier to track delays with your flight and be sure to hold the car for you
- Book ASAP! The longer you wait, the more expensive the rental will become. The early bird catches the worm in the car hire industry. You will also have more selection in vehicles thus making it easier for you to find a hire car that will suit your budget.
- Be sure to bring along 2 forms of identification, such as a full valid drivers license, passport, utility bill, credit card statement etc. Since DVLA has implemented paperless driving license, read our article to guide you when booking a hire car.
Driving tips in Heathrow Airport
When exiting Heathrow Airport with your rental car, keep in mind that Heathrow is predominantly on the M4, inside the M25 ring motorway. Getting onto the M4 with your hire car from Heathrow Airport allows you to either go into London by going east or going West out to the M25, or further out to Slough, Maidenhead, Reading or even Bristol.
Heathrow Airport is considered the main airport for the London vicinity; however, it is important to note that Heathrow is quite a distance away from London (15-30 minutes depending where you are going in London and London traffic patterns). Before you jump in your hire car in Heathrow Airport, it is advisable to check the traffic situation so you can plan the best route. Click here to check the latest road incidents.
If it is your first time to drive in London, it is important to know the basic traffic rules and regulations which includes the speed limit and congestion charging. Read our Guide on Driving in the UK for more information.
Useful details on hiring a car in Heathrow Airport
When you have arrived at airport and are heading to pick up your hire car that you booked through VromVroomVroom, the following details will be of use to you:
Green Motion Heathrow are based within the Holiday Inn M4J4 on Sipson Road. Once you have arrived at the terminal the best way to proceed to the Hotel is via the Airport Hotel Hoppa Bus Service. Please note you will have pay for the Hoppa Bus Service. Opening hours are Monday to Sunday 06:00 - 22:00. Times outside these will attract and 'out of hours fee' upon collection.
Avis and Budget have car hire desks conveniently located in each of the airport's five terminals. Once you've completed your paperwork, a courtesy shuttle will take you to the main car hire centre located just 5 minutes away. Both are open 24 hours.
Enterprise have their desk within the terminals for picking up your car hire. They are also open Monday to Sunday 05:00 to 23:59.
Alamo and Europcar are based just north of Terminal 3. They are open 24 hours.
Hertz have a dedicated Gold office available Monday to Sunday 06:00-22:00, normal office hours are 24 hours. Outside of the Gold hours customers need to go to the main desk. All customers with confirmed bookings, use the Car Rental Courtesy Bus.
Thrifty are based at The Sheraton Heathrow Hotel and are open Monday to Sunday 07:00 to 22:00.
Sixt have desks within the terminals, although if you arrive in terminal 5 customers will need to use the freephone at the Car rental carousel in the center of the arrivals hall. Alternatively you can call for the shuttle on 0044800614412 or 00442088901283 and proceed directly to the relevant bus stop for collection: Terminal 1 - 5 Terminal 3 - 22 Terminal 4 - 23 Terminal 5 - 28. Opening hours are Monday to Sunday 06:00 - 23:00.
Heathrow Airport Car Hire All Inclusive Rates
Nearly all rates for hire cars at Heathrow Airport from the global brands have what are referred to as 'all inclusive rates'. This means that the rate you book with your car hire includes unlimited mileage, collision damage waiver and theft protection. Unlimited mileage means that there are no per mile charges for use of your hire car. Collision damage waiver means that in the event of an accident with your hire car, that insurance included in the rate covers this (with an excess). Theft protection means that your Heathrow hire car will be covered in the event of damage due to attempted stealing or vandalising your car. And always keep in mind that the sooner you compare car hire and book, the better rental rate you will receive.
There is some upper limit on your age for booking car hire at Heathrow Airport (Although this is subject to change by our suppliers without notice to VroomVroomVroom). There is, however, a minimum age for all of the global car hire brands which is 21. If the Heathrow car hire driver is below the age of 25, there will be a premium charged due to increased car hire insurance costs paid by the car rental supplier.
It is important to understand that when hiring a car at Heathrow Airport, if you expect to drop off the hire car at a different location, most global brands charge a premium for this. Some car hire companies, do not charge this premium if the drop off location is close by, for instance, if you were to drop off the car in another London Car Hire location or another London Airport like Gatwick, Stansted, Luton or London City Airport.
Dependant upon the company you choose as to whether a one-way fee will be inclusive or extra in the quote given via VroomVroomVroom. Most car hire companies do not allow you to drop off your car in a different country. For example, you can't hire a car at Heathrow Airport and then expect to be able to drop off the car in France or Ireland.
Most global car hire brands do allow you to drop off your hire car within the UK. For instance, you can pick up your hire car at Heathrow Airport and drop off the car in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Be aware however, that when performing a 'one-way car hire' booking like this, there will probably be an extra charge from the car hire companies.
When you pick up your car rental at Heathrow Airport after booking it through VroomVroomVroom, you will probably find the sheer size and activity of Heathrow Airport a tad daunting, especially if you have never travelled there before. You have to understand the fact that Heathrow is an enormous Airport with four major Terminals.
Heathrow terminals 1 and 2 are predominantly for domestic and European travel, terminal 3 handles most of the International travelwhereas terminal 4 is for Cargo and some International Travel. There is also Terminal 5 which it is the newest terminal. This terminal is located between the northern and southern runways at the west end of Heathrow's site, and it was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth II on 14 March 2008, some years after its inception. Terminal 5 is exclusively used by British Airways as their global hub, built at a cost of £4.3 billion. The new terminal consists of a four storey main terminal building and two satellite buildings which are linked to the main terminal.
All Heathrow's terminals have desks for most of the major car hire brands, however the depots where you pick up your hire car are usually only a bus ride away from the terminal. Before setting off for your journey, it is always wise to check with Teletext to make sure which terminal you will be flying in and out of and making sure that your flight is on time.
Heathrow is more than 'just an airport'. With a variety of shops, restaurants, lounges, prayer rooms, business options and so much more, it's more like a 'halfway holiday resort'. As soon as you reach the airport your holiday has truly begun. The airport itself features the following.:
- If you are travelling with babies or infants, you can pre-order milk from their website
- Heathrow always have 'special offers' within the airport, why not check them out?
- A full collection of shops from your high street names to designer labels
- Restaurants and coffee shops galore!
- If you have time to relax you can enjoy the likes of an Art Gallery, a YOTEL, massage and beauty therapy, lounges and spa's and you can even view the runway! Check it all out!
- Internet facilities
- Baby changing areas
- Multi-faith Prayer room
- Even a pharmacy!
And if all this information is blowing you away, you can always have a look at the airport map to familiarise yourself with your terminal before you travel. Heathrow Airport is part of the London Airports group which consists of London Gatwick Airport, London Stansted Airport, London Luton Airport, London City Airport and London Southend Airport. All playing a major part in the United Kingdom's transportation network and gateways to the World, and the best part is that VroomVroomVroom compares car hire for all of these locations!
Heathrow is Europe's busiest airport for passenger traffic, and handles more international passenger traffic than any other airport in the world, in fact the customer flow increase by 5.4% in 2011, not the highest growth by percentage however as it handles the most travellers by far the total increase number IS the largest.
The opening of Terminal 5 in 2008 allowed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the rest of Heathrow into a world-class international gateway. Over the next few years almost the entire airport will be rebuilt, refurbished or redesigned.