Car Hire Covilha
Covilha is a city in Covilha Municipality in Centro Region, Portugal. The city proper has 36.723 inhabitants, according to the 2011 census. Sometimes referred to as the town of wool and snow, Covilha is one of the main urban centres of the historical Beira Interior region. The proximity of the mountains offers exquisite scenery and a great environment for those fond hiking, camping, mountain climbing and skiing in Covilha. The history of Covilha dates back to the days when it was a prehistorical settlement, a shelter for Lusitanian shepherds, and a Roman fortress known as Cava Juliana or Sillia Herminia. The major economic activities in Covilha include textiles, food industry and agriculture.
Top Attractions Within Covilha
Mont Torre is a wonderful itinerary in Covilha. It takes the highest road built in Portugal and leads to villages such as Covilha or Seia, and to the winter sport resort of Penhas da Saude. The highest point in Portugal, Torre, offers tourists an immense panoramic view of the whole area. The road to and from Mont Torre winds over the crest among the rocks, the mosses and the lakes including the deep blue waters of Lake Comprida. It is truly breathtaking.
Covilha Parish Church is a beautiful church located in Covilha. Built in 1940, this church contains the picture of Our-Lady-of-Hope which Pedro Alvares Cabral is believed to have taken with him on his official voyage to Brazil. You can also see a replica of the cross which presided over the celebration of the first Brazilian mass.
Sao Tiago Church in Covilha was built prior the castle and remodelled in the 16th century. The Church has some interesting Romanesque elements, including a baptismal front, frescoes on the altar and older frescoes on the right wall. Inside the chapel of Nossa Senhnora da Piedade, you can see a throne chair and multicoloured Pieta carved from a single block of granite.
The Castle in Covilha was built in the 13th and 14th century by king Dinis I. The surviving sections were restored in 1940. Particularly noticeable is the right tower of the keep which bears 17th century console balconies and on the left a gemeled Manueline door surmounted by the Cabral coat-of-arms.