Car Hire Santa Teresa Di Riva
Compare the cheapest car hire in Santa Teresa Di Riva
Santa Teresa Di Riva is a small town and commune in the province of Messina, Sicily, about 15 kilometres from Taormina. Santa Teresa Di Riva was known until 1854 as Marina di Savoca when it was renamed in honour of Teresa d'Austria. The town in neighboured to the northeast by the towns of Furci Siculo and Roccalumera, to the west by Savoca, and to the southwest by Sant'Alessio Siculor and the mountainous Forza d'Agro. Although it is a small city, with a population of 8.897 residents according to the 2001 census, Santa Teresa Di Riva has a lot of wonderful attractions in and around the area.
Top Attractions Within Santa Teresa Di Riva
The Madonna del Carmelo Sanctuary is situated in Santa Teresa Di Riva, near the Saracen Tower. It has been built in the place of the 1507 church which was part of the Bucalo Brothers' property. The church is built in a Romanesque style. It is a church with three naves, separated by a transept from the apse, where the high altar, built in marble from Trapani, and the nice where the statue of the Madonna kept.
Saracen Tower is located in Santa Teresa Di Riva, around the year 1000 in order to defend the territory against the incursions of the Saracens. The tower is three storeys high, with a near two-storey building dating back to the same period. The tower appears to be quite well preserved, even if on the front the plaster is ruined. Every storey has one room that visitors can take a tour of.
Bagghi Tower is situated in the Bucalo quarter, in Santa Teresa Di Riva, along the Sparagona street, below the railway bridge. It is a square based tower with two elevations separated by a blind vault, so that one could get into the upper floor by using an embankment, still partly visible on the Western side of it.
The Sacred Family Church is another great attraction in Santa Teresa Di Riva. The Church is located in the middle part of the town. It has one nave and many noticeable works of art, like the huge wooden Crucifix in the apse.