- see

Type of International Driving Permit for UK Drivers

type of IDP

There are currently three types of International Driving Permit (IDP) issued to UK licence holders: the 1926, 1949 and 1968 permits. The type of permit depends on the country you will be driving in. Before renting a car and driving to other European countries, check out which type of IDP permit you would need.

Driving in the EU and EEA countries

Note that if there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence. In the event of a no deal Brexit, drivers are required to carry the following permits in addition to their UK driving licence when driving in the EU and EEA countries.

  • 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
  • 1949 permit to drive in Spain
  • 1968 permit to drive in all other EU Countries, plus Switzerland

In some cases, drivers will need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France, Sweden, Norway, Poland and Monaco (1968 IDP) to Andorra and Cyprus (1949 IDP) or to Liechtenstein (1926 IDP). For a complete list, visit here.

How to get an IDP?

IDPs are available over the counter at the Post Office. Each permit costs £5.50. To get an IDP, you will need to:

  • Be 18 or older
  • Have a full valid driving licence - photo card or paper license
  • Have a passport sized photo
  • Payment of IDP application fee

Note: A 1926 or 1949 IDP can last for 12 months, while a 1968 permit lasts for up to three years or until your UK driving licence expires.

Click here to see which type of IDP you need. Make sure also to check and confirm with your rental car company if the country you are visiting is not included in the list.

Learn more about Cross Border Rentals.